Top 10 HALLOWEEN PARTY FOOD TREATS
Check Out Our Favorite Halloween Party Food and Treats
1. Tombstone Cupcakes: Cook chocolate cupcakes according to package directions. Combine white icing with green food coloring to make green icing, and frost the tops of the cupcakes. Break Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies in half so they look like tombstones, and put each one on a cupcake. With red gel icing, write party guests’ names on their tombstones, and decorate the “grass” with gummy worms.
2. Frozen Hand! Fill a plastic glove with red punch, tie the wrist off and freeze it flat. Once frozen, peel the glove off. Now you have an eerie ice cube for your punch bowl, and as it melts it will continue to flavor your drinks!
3. Ice Cream Witches: Set a scoop of lime sherbet (or your favorite flavor) on a plate. Put a pointy ice cream cone on top of the ball of sherbet to make a witch’s hat, then add stringy hair with green icing. Add small candies like M&M’s to make eyes, nose and a mouth. You can also let each guest make their own as part of the party!
4. Spicy Pumpkin Seeds: When you carve your jack-o-lantern this year, don’t just throw out the seeds! Rinse the goop off and sprinkle with salt (and any other spices you would like). Roast them in the oven on a greased sheet at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Crack the shells open and enjoy!
5. Spider Eggs: Top store-bought or homemade deviled eggs with scary olive spiders! Use half of a black olive for the body, placing it on top of the filled side of the egg. Slice another olive into eight pieces for legs, and assemble. Now dare your guests to eat them!
6. Rotten Teeth: Take two slices of your favorite kind of apple and cut notches or “teeth” in one side of each slice with a knife. Stick the slices of apple together with peanut butter to make two sides of a mouth that is filled with goo. Add sliced almonds for a wonky, rotten teeth effect.
7. Pretzel Ghosts: Melt white chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave. Dip long pretzel sticks halfway into the white chocolate and let dry. Now add brown eyes and a screaming mouth with three brown chocolate chips. Boo!
8. Brain Shots: Chill your favorite flavor of vodka and add 1/8 ounce of limejuice for each shot of vodka you will pour. Shake well and pour into shot glasses. Use a straw to add some Bailey’s Irish Cream to each shot (dip the straw in the Bailey’s then cover the top of the straw with your finger to transport it to the shot glass). As you drop the Bailey’s into the shot glass, the limejuice will curdle it slightly and it will come out looking like brains. Add a touch of grenadine and you will have a shot of bloody brains!
9. Mummy Wraps: Take a can of biscuit dough and roll out each small biscuit until it is flat, and cut it into strips. Wrap these strips around a hot dog or similarly shaped sausage, and bake according to package directions. Use ketchup and mustard to add eyes and a mouth to your mummified wieners!
10. Crunchy Fingers: Find carrots that are about the size of fingers, and peel them. Stick them upright around the sides of a bowl of dip, then top each carrot with a dab of dip and a sliced almond “fingernail” to create a bowl full of freaky fingers!
Shilo Urban is a freelance writer who has just relocated to Los Angeles after her previous homes of Seattle, New Zealand, Paris, Maine, and Austin. She is an active member of the West Coast electronic music community and lives to promote the art that she loves and the people who create it.