The skin is the body’s largest organ. Just think for a moment of all the chemicals and lab-created ingredients your skin is soaking up on a daily basis. It can be a bit overwhelming. Along with natural skin and body care, many women are switching to ‘green’ makeup. If you have sensitive skin or suffer from skin allergies, organic and natural cosmetics just makes sense. Makeup made with natural ingredients has much of a lesser chance of causing skin irritation and is more easily tolerated by most skin. It is also better for the environment because any left over product easily breaks down without harming our precious planet. Let’s look at some commonly used makeup items and companies that offer ‘green’ versions of these products.
1. SUKI ACTIVE TINTED MOISTURIZER Natural pigments grace this formula that is customizable for the amount of coverage you require. Organic sunflower seed and organic grape seed oil hydrate and protect your skin while shea butter leaves it soft and glowing. Shown here in Bronze.
2. MIESSENCE ORGANICS MINERAL BLUSH POWDER Organic ingredients are the hallmark of this buildable mineral blush, shown here in Ginger Blossom Silk. Translucent mica reflects light, giving the look of reduced the pore size, while also allowing your natural skin tone to show through.
3. ALIMA EYESHADOW Containing only 100% pure minerals, these pigment rich eyeshadows won’t irritate your eyes. Used wet or dry and available in a variety of shades, Alima shadows, shown here in Tiger Eye, are great for your eyes and the environment.
(place alima tiger eye pic here)
4. BEING TRUE COSMETICS HY-PERFORMANCE MASCARA Volume, length and curl are all delivered with the special Hytrel brush from True Cosmetics debut line of natural makeup. This paraben free formula creates lashes that hypnotize from morning till night, all while providing conditioning benefits too.
5. PHYSICIANS FORMULA ORGANIC WEAR NATURAL ORIGIN LIP VEIL Organic Wear 1st Ever ECOCERT™ certified organic line of makeup in the US. The makeup is free of harsh chemicals, preservatives and parabens and 100% of the total ingredients are of natural origin. I adore the Lip Veil, shown here in Organic Spice.
6. SUNCOAT WATER BASED NAIL POLISH Suncoat is the only water-based nail polish on the market that brings quick drying and long lasting properties to a natural nail formula. Not only is it toluene and formaldehyde free, but also contains no phthalate, alcohol, and acetone or acetate. The polishes are naturally colored with earth pigments and are free of controversial dyes.
Now you know how you can ‘green’ your beauty products and save the planet at the same time. Using natural ingredients on your face is as important as eating natural foods and you can actually see a difference in your skin when you give it only the best inside and out. Try out some natural makeup lines and see which ones you like best. See, it’s easy being beautifully green!
Article Written By: Laura Miller; Laura is a beauty and health/wellness/fitness writer living in Atlanta, Ga. Her many years in the salon and spa business served as a springboard for her next career move as a full-time writer. She now writes articles for DivaVillage.com and their sister-site VillageMAMA.com.